Today I had a very bad headache that started at me from dawn, it didn’t even let me sleep. This motivated me to seek information about the natural medications that can be taken to relieve headaches.
Headaches are the most difficult diseases to treat, because they have many causes and They are more common in women due to the unstable passage of hormones during different stages of life.
Some of the most common causes of headaches are:
- Food plays an important role since certain foods can be triggers of headaches, in the same way, the way we cook them, for example, if we fry food, excessive consumption of fried foods causes headaches, or food with a lot of fat and the use of chemicals to add or enhance the taste of foods, such as: monosodium glutamate and synthetic sweeteners such as aspartame, which is found in many industrial food preparations, are responsible for allergies and Food allergies that lead to headaches, on the other hand glutamate works by stimulating the nerve centers of the body and can cause headaches in sensitive people.
- Cervical (muscular tension) and postural problems, bad dental occlusion, stress, digestive difficulties, hormonal changes (menstrual cycle, menopause). Similarly, the use of certain medications and birth control pills.
- Other triggers are tiredness and poor sleep, visual problems or too many hours in front of the PC screen or watching TV.
It is advisable to consume many vegetables, fruits, foods without fat and seasoned as naturally as possible.
This root has anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. It is very effective and the result is almost immediate to resolve the headache. In herbal medicine it is also found in capsules in concentrated form. For an infusion, grate a piece of root and let it infuse in hot water for about ten minutes.
Lavender is a fantastic headache remedy with psychosomatic characteristics. Its relaxing and sedative power helps to relax the nerves and relax the tense muscles responsible for headaches. Lavender essential oil is very effective, a couple of drops are enough to practice a gentle relaxing massage on the temples and, if necessary, do the same on the wrists. Care should be taken in case of suffering from blood pressure since lavender can affect blood pressure values.
Chamomile is one of my favorite teas, I usually use it for digestion or when I have stomach aches, however, it is also used to relieve headaches and better yet, prevent them, thanks to its antispasmodic, anti-inflammatory and analgesic effects. To prepare a chamomile tea, boil the water and add the chamomile, turn it off and cover it to rest for approximately 10 minutes and take it hot or warm.
Cold chamomile can also be used, but in this case to wet a cloth and place it on the forehead or temples.
It is also widely used for headaches, you can prepare it in the same way as chamomile tea, boil the water and add the mint leaves, let it rest for about 10 minutes and it will be ready to take it.
Essential oils are a great relief. I personally use Herbal 35 aromatherapy oil, this oil in my opinion is the best and most complete since it is a mixture of several essential oils and it is really very effective, but it is over, so I must buy again. I do not know if in other countries this oil exists, here in Venezuela it is no longer available as much as before.
Its ingredients are: Wild Mint Basil, Anise, Eucalyptus, Orange, Basil, Gaulteria, Rosemary, Chamomile, Thyme, Lemon, Fennel, Grapefruit, Lime, Mint, Huacatay, Ylang Ylang, Sage, Dioica Pepper, Clove, Cinnamon, Green Cardamom , Juniper, Myrrh, Hyssopus Officinalis, Carrot, Lavender, Ginseng, St. John’s Wort, Pepper Acris, Lemongrass, Coriander, Geranium, Boswellia. This is the merchant’s page:
I also found these essential oils, according to the type of headache.
- Anise essential oil (in case of headache due to excess food),
- Orange essential oil (stress headache),
- Peppermint essential oil (stress headache or migraine),
- Basil essential oil (for all forms of headache),
- Cypress essential oil (headache related to menopause),
- Lemongrass essential oil (headache accompanied by sinusitis),
- Eucalyptus essential oil (cold and flu headache),
- Jasmine essential oil (headache related to female hormonal activity).